90D for wildlife?

Started Dec 26, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Austin7642 Regular Member • Posts: 396
90D for wildlife?

So I'm doing quite a bit of road tripping and traveling across the continent in the upcoming year. This past year I did so for about two months up and down the East and West Coast. I had packed along a 400mm DO II and a 600mm II with me for wildlife with a 7D II. Sadly, in the first month I didn't use the 7D II once as no situations really arose for me to need the reach and so I sold it. However, in the second month, there were instances where it would've been very useful, such as trying to shoot eagles in British Columbia, and the absence was enough of a pain that I'm considering buying a 90d for my upcoming travels this year. I am wondering how everyone who's used this camera for wildlife like it. Some of the questions I'm wondering about are can you push the iso above 1600, is there better DR, and is the focusing consistent and reliable? I'm also curious about the video side as well since it seems like 4k with no crop and 120 fps at 1280 would make it the best video camera aside from the 1DX II (which I have, but damn is it heavy on a gimbal).

Austin7642's gear list:Austin7642's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +17 more
Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow