Need help with focus stacked microscope imaging

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fjwallace Junior Member • Posts: 25
Need help with focus stacked microscope imaging

Hi,

Hope you had/have a great holiday and a happy new year!

I am putting together an exhibit of focus stacked images of micrometeorites at my area library in February and wanted to re-shoot a few images and had a couple of questions.

1) I wondered about using ‘live view’ to take images. I was told that the mirror is up in ‘live view’. With the Nikon D7500, I use the Electronic Front Shutter Curtain (EFSC) to minimize mirror slap (I know some people don’t believe it is an issue, but I’ve found it is for me! That is why I bought the D7500). Will the EFSC work with ‘live view’? Does the shutter actually have to close in ‘live view’ to take the image, thus negating the advantage?

2) I also noticed that when I use my Stackshot to get images, the microscope stage seems to ‘slip’ a tiny amount, but it turns out, over a long picture taking session, it is a lot (at 200x & 400x anyway!). I also find that the ‘start point’ and ‘end point’ are not even close after I set them up, even after using the ‘precision’ settings, so I have to build-in a lot of extra frames to be sure I am starting and ending where I want. I have the stepper motor connected to a flexible tube and clamped with hose clamps to the fine-focus knob and Stepper motor. When the Stackshot is running, it seems to be tight (can’t turn the knob – BTW: I don’t try to turn it hard – don’t want to break anything!).

As always, thanks for any comments, advice and help you can provide!

Jon

Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow