Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,358
Re: Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ?

gedansky wrote:

• Anyone have it?
  • How often is it your go-to?
  • Anyone get it and decide it’s not for you? Why?

I am very tempted because I love fast, wide lenses, but staying my hand because:

1) for me, it’s a lot to pay for one lens

2) I often hear that people consider it an all in one 18-35mm 1.8 prime. But, I have a 24, 30, 40, and 50mm primes and I’m not sure I need one big, heavy lens that “replaces” them but costs a lot more than all of them together.

It's not a big and heavy lens. It's only big and heavy if your only experience is with short crop sensor kit zooms and f1.8 primes. You must have been taking notice of the propaganda of people prejudiced against Sigma lenses- or who can't afford it. There is a great deal of prejudice against Sigma in Canon land, because Canon periodically move the compatibility goalposts and make Sigma look silly.

3) I like (appreciate the need for?) fast-standard zooms but find that, when I use a zoom I am usually looking for more reach. I have a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 and find the 50mm to be a little short. But at $73 used for a fast variable aperture lens, it was a minor expense. I then bought the 17-70 2.8-4, but think distance gain was probably not worth even the nominal expense ($175 including shipping).. So, I fear the 18-35mm 1.8 will be far too short for a lot of money, even for the only sub-$1000 f1.8 zoom.

Tell me what you like, what you don’t like, why you have it, how you used it, even why you got rid of it.

It's a very good lens, just not exciting enough for that kind of money as the range is too short and not very wide. If they made it 16-28 1.8 I could have been more interested. It falls right between the two stools of very fast primes which have f1.4 and f2.8 zooms which have 3x ranges. I prefer things to be one thing or the other.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow