Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 FX equivalent

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,474
Re: Disingenuous paraphrasing?

SushiEater wrote:

If original phrase was:

"18-35mm f1.8 lens on APS-C is like a 27-53mm f2.8 lens on FF for DoF" I would somewhat agree. Somewhat because DOF depends on the distance and framing too and that would be a different argument.

You have created a paradigm of photography where the following (at least) can be ignored as insignificant attributes of a shot:

• DoF
  • SNR
  • DR

If that works for you, then that is fine of course (for you). I can assure you that those parameters matter to other people, and thus comparisons among different lens and camera combinations matter (to other people).

But the original statement is totally wrong and I did not paraphrase it in any shape or form especially dishonestly.

The statement in question was not suggesting that a particular lens changes when mounted on different cameras. It suggested that a particular lens on a particular camera is like a completely different lens on a completely different camera.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow