When do you think will smartphones offer a 200mm (35mm equivalent) Lense?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,795
Re: Hasselblad Moto Mod

I2K4 wrote:

John Fantastic wrote:

I2K4 wrote:

Don't find this in the preceding thread or know if it answers to the original question or if the concept was quite ready for prime time:

https://www.gsmarena.com/hasselblad_true_zoom_moto_mod_handson-blog-22742.php

Focal length 4.5-45 mm (25-250mm 35mm equivalent) I got a very good holiday deal on a compatible Moto Z3 Play (January delivery) though this "Moto Mod" isn't a priority. Its price combined with mid-range compatible Moto phone is still a lot less than a flagship superphone.

I2K4,
Thank you very much for sharing. This is a very nice concept for a smartphone. I have never seen or heard of something like this before. I hope that they perfect the concept.

Glad it's of interest. For several year a pet theory has been that compact cameras have been failing while phones thrive, partly because of really primitive camera software, navigation and algorithms, with compartively pitiful resource configurations that spoil the appeal of their much better lenses and sensors. Meanwhile brilliant phone software is still struggling with telephoto and low light performance due to hardware limitations.

I've thought one of the major manufacturers (Sony, Samsung, etc.) with real experience in both camera and phone development would apply core competencies to create an Android phone dockable as the screen and control mechanism for serious interchangeable and/or fixed lens cameras. On that basis, easy to imagine an open source API for third party developers to create and sell specialized apps and algorithms specific to that phone/camera interface. Some of the apparent issues with this Moto Mod could be the distance between development teams at Lenovo and Hasselblad.

I'm not the one to know, but laws of physics may result in much more intelligent dedicated cameras before much more optically powerful dedicated phones.

Well, MotoMods have pretty much died, so don't look for anything else on that front.  You would think Sony would have the lead in applying phone like processing to their cameras, but it really doesn't seem to be.  I would suggest that Olympus has probably done more innovating with in-camera processing than most.  They really were one of the first out of the gate with all kinds of funky filter effects.  They have since added things like live composite which only adds light to areas that are still not fully exposed.  Recently they added in camera ND software effects using multiple exposures just like phones do.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow