need help should I upgrade 7dII to 5dIV over changing lenses for basketball

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,358
Re: need help should I upgrade 7dII to 5dIV over changing lenses for basketball

Heat00 wrote:

ok guys, need your help.

been trying to decide what to do, to help with our terribly lit basketball gym and my 7dII with an old sigma 70-200 2.8 and tamron 24-70.

and I do love some features of the 7dII, like auto iso, anti flicker, 10 FPS, the 65 point AF system etc... but I see the 5dIV has some of these as well.

Thanks,

A thread just follows the garbage in, garbage out principle. You will get really useful answers when you are thorough in describing the situation. What really matters is an analysis of the focal lengths you use. I mean going to your photo manager, and displaying the focal length on your thumbnails , if it compiles statistics on them like Lightroom then so much the better. Without that you're just blundering in the dark.

Many people write about using an 85mm on full frame for basketball, so the 50-100 f1.8 on a 7D with the equivalent of 80-160 f2.8 is definitely on. You could supplement it with whatever shorter range lens suits the situation best, a 24-70 f2.8 or a 17-50 f2.8 lens. You are the one that will know this.

As for the anti-flicker... for places with fluorescent lighting it is very important. Without it you are at the mercy of color variations, or you have to edit raw which takes time. A 7D II with a Sigma 50-100 f1.8 doesn't sound like a bad approach as long as the lens is long enough. What you've done by getting a Canon 70-200 is an ineffectual solution which solves neither the relatively few focus points on a 7D, nor the need for the fastest lens possible on the biggest sensor possible. You just bought another standard f2.8 lens for a small sensor.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cjb
cjb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow