Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 FX equivalent

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
SushiEater
SushiEater Forum Pro • Posts: 11,347
Re: A perfect proof......

bjn70 wrote:

The notion of full equivalence would say to lower the ISO for the D500 to bring the shutter speed down to 1/60 and now everything would match between the 2 images- brightness, shutter speed, depth of field, and noise.

This was just an example.There is such a thing as "acceptance" so I normally I don't shoot with D500 higher than 800 ISO. At 800 ISO noise is more than acceptable and I also have a little room to brighten underexposed photos assuming I don't use flash.

This is the position I'm usually in and why I said that I usually don't want to hear about equivalence. Between APS-C and FF I consider it to be a somewhat subtle difference and thus not that important. I'm usually either in situations where I'm shooting at a limit such as wide open and don't have the luxury of thinking about equivalence, or I'm shooting outdoors where there is plenty of light and I can pick whatever setting I want without worrying about equivalence.

And there is more.

Equipment makes a huge difference too. I am glad Sigma makes 50-100mm F1.8. It is already in size and weight equal to 70-200mm F2.8 If they tried to make 70-200mm F2 it would be very large and very costly just like 120-300mm F2.8. People already mad about the weight of the current Sigma 70-200mm. Without such a lens (50-100mm) I would have to use primes but then I would have to constantly change lenses or shoot with multiple cameras with different FL lenses.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow