Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 FX equivalent

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,947
Re: A perfect proof......

The notion of full equivalence would say to lower the ISO for the D500 to bring the shutter speed down to 1/60 and now everything would match between the 2 images- brightness, shutter speed, depth of field, and noise.

This was just an example.There is such a thing as "acceptance" so I normally I don't shoot with D500 higher than 800 ISO. At 800 ISO noise is more than acceptable and I also have a little room to brighten underexposed photos assuming I don't use flash.

This is the position I'm usually in and why I said that I usually don't want to hear about equivalence.  Between APS-C and FF I consider it to be a somewhat subtle difference and thus not that important.  I'm usually either in situations where I'm shooting at a limit such as wide open and don't have the luxury of thinking about equivalence, or I'm shooting outdoors where there is plenty of light and I can pick whatever setting I want without worrying about equivalence.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow