Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 FX equivalent

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Serjojeee Senior Member • Posts: 1,306
Re: A perfect proof......

MediaArchivist wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

Also, before someone puts in their $.02 I don't care about DOF.

So your "wrong wrong and wrong" statement was not about facts, but was about how things fit (or don't fit) into your whims and tastes. You should make that clear.

I think that you sometimes just can't explain the equivalence to a person who is not that good at mathematics (he can be a brilliant photographer of course). But I agree that equivalence is about one thing - the actual amount of photons that will hit the sensor (or any other device from film to asphalt) that relates to SNR. And some people don't realize that not only DOF / F stop but also shutter speed AND ISO are a part of equivalence idea cause with different sensor sizes you need the different actual power of light and different exposure time to have the same SNR. The goal is to collect exactly the same number of photons within the specified amount of time. So to get the same picture you'll need to know 2 things - desired DOF and desired SNR. And than you can use everything from smartphone to medium format camera with all cameras en-between to get exactly the same picture (smartphone cameras will limit you with their F18 lenses). But I really don't want to participate in this holy war.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow