Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 FX equivalent

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
SushiEater
SushiEater Forum Pro • Posts: 11,356
Re: A perfect proof......

bjn70 wrote:

If you pixel peep you should see more noise in the D500 image.

True. But read below.

The notion of full equivalence would say to lower the ISO for the D500 to bring the shutter speed down to 1/60 and now everything would match between the 2 images- brightness, shutter speed, depth of field, and noise.

This was just an example.There is such a thing as "acceptance" so I normally I don't shoot with D500 higher than 800 ISO. At 800 ISO noise is more than acceptable and I also have a little room to brighten underexposed photos assuming I don't use flash. I also bought Sigma 50-100mm for this specific reason, to shoot in low light without flash.  If I could use flash I don't need 50-100mm lens.

Also, before someone puts in their $.02 I don't care about DOF. Shutter speed depends on the brightness of the lens and ISO. DOF depends on the aperture and distance. So by getting closer I can vary the DOF to match brighter lens.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow