As a beginner, is it stupid to start with a "Pro" model printer?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,026
As a beginner, is it stupid to start with a "Pro" model printer?

At the moment I' m thinking about taking up printing myself. So far, I' ve used dedicated pro lab for my printing (but not very much...maybe a couple of times a year). Images where fine, but I would like to print more (at more costs ofcourse). I know about screen calibration (but not printer calibration). I' m not sure, how much I' ll print, but I can only presume that I' ll print ( a lot) more, when I see the results of a good photo printer. I plan to print more anyway.

My experiences with printing myself are (very) limited to my use of all-in-one printers (Epson, but also Canon MG8250). I never liked those print results (didn't t like the results and the print size is very boring to me), so I do not use them for printing my own photos. My present all- in-one (Canon) will not be supported by OS Catalina (I' m on iMac). So I have to buy myself a new printer anyway and I do not need options like scanning or copying anymore. And thus I think that maybe it' s time for getting myself a proper photo printer. Ofcourse there' s also some GAS involved.

I' ve watched most of the JToolman/Jose Rodriguez videos, read reviews on Northlight Images / Keith Cooper, read other posts on DPR / etc.

JToolman advices in one of his videos, against buying a Canon Prograf Pro 1000 when you are "just" a beginner (he makes an analogy with driving a fast sports car without having a drivers license...or enough experience). He finds the Pro100 or Pro10 better choices for beginners.

And then my point;

I' m thinking about buying just that Canon Program Pro1000. I like the A2 print size (can always print smaller). That printer looks like a real solid Pro machine. I know ink is expensive and there has to be a daily (?) print job to keep the system going (maybe just a small A5 print/nozzle check). I don' t think, that going a route through using Pro10s first and then update to A2 printer fits me. But at the same time I do realize , that going straight to the Pro1000 might turn out to be a major disappointment (too much complicated work/learning/mistakes/loss of money...you name it), so maybe the question should be wether I'm prepared to take that risk.Are there any users here that can advice me? Maybe users that have or had both a Pro10s and/or a Pro1000? What are the (your) pros and what are the (your) contras? I' m interested in all information that you can give.

I' m VERY interested in personal experiences, but all ideas are welcome!

Thank you very much!

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow