Urgent letter from CEO of Flickr

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
bigfatron Contributing Member • Posts: 777
Re: Urgent letter from CEO of Flickr

Marek M wrote:

bigfatron wrote:

Marek M wrote:

tcg550 wrote:

Dropbox, like any other business for profit, will only stay in business if they are making enough money.

You win, there is absolutely no need for any type of paid storage or sharing service that anyone anywhere would ever want to use.

That's not what he said. If the alternative is user controlled, inexpensive local storage, then advantages of cloud storage are limited and far less secure,meaning that they may close down for many reasons. I trust my multiple local back ups far more than I would any cloud storage.

I know how many back ups I have. How many do they have?

Cloud storage is, by definition, off-site. If you're set up right then new files you create can be backed up to the cloud instantly and without any intervention required. If a provider closes down I just sign up with another one and backup to them instead.

To my mind local storage only wins because you aren't paying a perpetual subscription cost and just buying new hard drives now and again. Although you'd need multiple drives to mitigate risk of mechanical failure.

I have my photos on 4 hard drives, videos on three, music on 5 , I think.

I update regularly to the first tier back up, less regularly to the 3rd and 4th.

Cloud storage has zero interest for me. It's like giving things I own and want to keep to someone and asking for them whenever I need them. Simply because I do not want them to take up space in my spacious garage. And even though the guy holding them lives next to me and is accessible 24/7, one day he may move , or have an accident, or have whatever.

Not for me, zero interest.

Where do you keep the disks?

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow