Flickr: the Beginning of the End??

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,358
Re: Flickr: the Beginning of the End??

That guy managed to open quite a can of worms there... He gives reason to fear for flickr's future and yet offers a 25% discount. I'd definitely call that "giving mixed messages"! He seems to have invoked the cynicism of the whole world over this one, quite a feat really. Mind you, we've all probably have someone try to sell us a hard luck story to get into our pockets.

I don't think SmugMug really knew what to do with the flickr community when they bought it, I'm not sure if they understand it or feel it. SmugMug's supposed to be a privately owned Australian company and I think they need an injection of new ideas. Facebook and Instagram are very large companies that depend on sharing media and yet they charge people nothing. SmugMug just inherited a large community, and it throws it to the wall. It seems to have NO IDEA what to do with a big photographer community apart from to try to sell them paid, but isolated, gallery pages. That sounds incompetent to me. If this were a Public Limited Company I think they would have fired this CEO and got someone with more vision.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow