How is the Sigma 10-20mm?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,358
Re: Update on: Sigma 10-20mm?

Antone wrote:

dan_darkroom wrote:

Unfortunately, maybe, that deal didn't worked out. I don't mind too much. I am probably in state of GAS* and should look for professional (not photographic related) help. I will keep the buying urge low till a 8-16mm shows up.

*GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome

I bought the 8-16mm several years ago but returned it. It was a much better lens; however, I decided that the ability to use neutral density filters was essential, thus its return.

The 8-16 f4.5-5.6 and the older 10-20 f4-5.6 behaved so similarly optically that they might as well have been brothers, and they have less optical problems than the newer 10-20 f3.5.

I believe problems with the f3.5 are half down to very variable quality control, because sites (that can be sent cherry picked ones) gave good reviews, but bloggers and user anecdotes are not unanimous about recommending the newer over the older. I never know what to expect when I pick up a crop sensor ultrawide, bad copies are all over the place.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
dlj
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow