Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

Started Apr 8, 2019 | Discussions thread
Noogy
Noogy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,208
Re: Did anyone try the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP on the RP?

E-M1XR wrote:

Noogy wrote:

Genobkk wrote:

Does eye focus work well with this lens on the eos R? I need a decent 85. The cannon version is much cheaper but old design. Isthe Tamron worth it?

Go for it! I never have to look at any 85mm again after I got the Tamron 85mm 1.8 because quite frankly, it's an almost perfect portrait lens for me.

My Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC has major metering issues on the R, have you noticed anything like that with the 85mm? I think it is linked to the corrections issue mentioned elsewhere.

I have used four Tamron lenses on my R and RP. None of them have any metering or related issue whatsoever.

I turn off peripheral illumination in the camera using my Tamron 35 1.8 and 45 1.8 in the past, and on my 85mm 1.8 currently. For the new 35-150mm, I don't have to turn peripheral illumination off anymore.

Frankly, whatever issues others are claiming to be having, I'm not sure if they're just lucky or I'm so lucky. However, I have been using Tamron lenses extensively over 5 years, on the 80D, 5DMIV, 6DMII then now on the R, RP, M6II - so it's hard to assume I'm just lucky. My conclusion after roughly 10,000 shots on Tamron lenses: These lenses are very usable, reliable and they deliver great image quality based on the sensors inside these bodies.

Additionally, I've used these lenses outdoors - in freezing Sapporo, Beijing, Oregon; cold rainy seasons in France, Italy, Switzerland. Various locations in the US. Many places in Asia including my own country. The Tamron lenses works just like any of my weather-sealed L lenses.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow