Brickmaking beside the church of San Isidro de Iruya

Started Dec 19, 2019 | Photos thread
OP noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,849
Re: Brickmaking beside the church of San Isidro de Iruya

sabrina81 wrote:

I think this is a lovely study of contrasts, forms, and textures. Well done!

Tweaks I would consider (at least today -- tomorrow might be a different story):

• set white point on the building - I used 245.245.245 to avoid any clipping
  • slightly increase contrast on the stone wall and bricks, and also on the background mountains
  • add a slight gradient to the sky so it isn't quite so flat

Thank you very much. I like those improvements. These are mostly beyond my editing capabilities as I use Capture One to develop from RAW with global setting only and no other SW although I understand how to do them if I had the patience to figure out how to mask.

I also did not like how the sky was so dark, but I needed it that way to contrast with the mountains. However adding the sky gradient solved that issue. Something I can consider for future similar issue.

As to the white point I purposely kept it lower as there were highlights around the edges that were blowing out.  I was not sure how to increase the WP without further blowing them.  I do agree it looks better brighter.

I also played (more than considered carefully) with the color channels in B/W conversion, maybe on some a bit aggressively so there may be more to work with from the original.

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow