Lightroom newbie question - culling for real

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,794
Re: Lightroom newbie question - culling for real

dwight3 wrote:

Sailor Blue wrote:

.., I want to be able to find my images with any image viewer, not just with LIghtroom.

If I'm looking for an image of Aunt Bee at Christmas that might have been taken in any year from 1995 to 2000 I would go to LR and use keywords to bring up the just the Aunt Bee Christmas images so I could look through the grid of images to quickly to find the one image I wanted.

If I knew it was taken in 2000 then I might just use a smaller and faster loading program like FastStone to bring up a grid of the images of Pictures>Family>Christmas001225 (i.e. date in the yymmdd format).

The importance of a good folder structure extends beyond your convenience in finding things.

While LR is really good at locating images if they are well keyworded, no matter what folder they are in (as long as LR knows where they are), none of my family knows how to use LR, especially how to find a file in LR. When I'm not in the picture any more, a good folder structure will help my family find family photos that are important to them. LR's DAM will be of no use whatever.

And I should note that this applies not only to your photos, but any file in your computer that has any importance to your family.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/demise-of-lr-user-how-can-the-family-access-the-images.39102/#post-1257855

-- hide signature --

I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow