With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jonpais
jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 1,760
Re: With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

GrapeJam wrote:

jonpais wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

I don't get the video thing. Good autofocus- I get. Nothing matters if your subject isn't in focus. Low light IQ- I get. Any camera can take photos in bright light. Etc. What exactly is the big win for 4K video for a primarily stills shooter? At full res, especially at normal TV viewing distances, the IQ difference is marginal. And that comes at a huge cost in space and processing power. What exactly does 4K enable you to do and why have I never seen the cinematographic masterpieces 4K has enabled so many Sony 4K advocates to create?

The whole 4K thing feels more like a spec Sony people rallied behind after the fact than something photographers actually need, like better AF, better IQ, bigger buffers etc. Not saying cameras shouldn't have video at all but in all the time we've had 4K cameras I've never heard why we all need it.

Regarding file sizes and computational power, editing 4K ProRes files in Final Cut Pro on any ordinary MacBook is a breeze, since Final Cut has been optimized. 4K files from the a7 III are ridiculously tiny because of the crazy low bit rate, so they take up very little storage space on my hard drives. Nothing compared to the huge 400 Mbps files of my GH5!

When I upgraded my computer and could handle beefier files I actually hate the low bit rate on the A7III, if you do advanced color grading the low bit rate files on the A7III fall apart so easily.

Yes, 8-bit and low bitrate both suck. However...

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow