Lightroom newbie question - culling for real

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 3,279
Re: Lightroom newbie question - culling for real

malcolmbebb wrote:

Thanks.

I'm planning a tidy up of my photo folders, originally OK but getting a little untidy, so I was considering using LR to move the files to a new clean structure and import them at the same time. Then I'd be sure it knew about them. Undecided at present which way to go.

I had previously installed the trial of the cloud based LR version (now replaced with Classic), and this did in fact create a separate directory in Users/...Appdata/ etc. Exactly what people were saying LR didn't do! And this is where it held the files including those marked for deletion (and subsequently deleted). Ample scope for confusion.

(Classic doesn't seem to know about these files)

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data\a5055bfb542a4549996220c97477c4d1\originals\<date>

So I copied this directory before I uninstalled the trial. It's still there, it's 5GB and I can view the files - it's a real directory not a database, and I didn't put it there.

I don't know anything about how you ended up with what you're describing, but its not a feature of the desktop version. The only thing LR is going to create is the sidecars with the instructions on the adjustments you make to each original file. The only images created with LR will be when you output them with the changes you make to them and save them as a Jpeg.

LR strengths to me are primarily its image processing capabilities, a strong handshake with Photoshop, the subscription gives me the new goodies Adobe keeps introducing, all the plugins that are made for it and the reality that many of its competitors make LR plugins so you can simply handshake your file to another 3rd party package from within LR for a specialty feature set. It's been the industry standard that every competitor gets benchmarked against, so for me, I don't see the advantage to bother with another company that only wants to be what LR already is.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow