CFexpress (grumble-grumble)

Started Dec 18, 2019 | Discussions thread
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Re: CFexpress (grumble-grumble)

michaeladawson wrote:

rick colman wrote:

Looking at my pile of high-performance SD cards, I grumbled about spending $400 on a pair of XQD cards and reader.

Now, am I supposed to spend another $400 on CFexpress cards?

i shoot stills -

(video is a passing fad, raw video is for the truly afflicted ...)

Why do you need to spend another $400 on CFexpress cards? Did your XQD cards suddenly stop working?

If at some point in the future you find that you need more cards then that will be the time to buy new CFexpress cards. No reason to run out and buy them now just because Nikon released a new shiny toy just before Christmas.

I hope people understand that CFx cards are unlikely going to improve the performance for the Z6 and Z7, relative to existing XQD cards.

For one thing CFx is more future proof, e.g. for 8K video down the road, etc. Canon will soon announce the 1Dx Mark III and Nikon the D6. We'll see whether those cameras can take full advantage of CFx.

However, one big difference is that CFx manufacturers will no longer need to pay royalty to Sony. That is partly why we have gone from 1 or 2 suppliers for XQD to like a dozen or so CFx manufacturers. There will be plenty of competition and future price savings. I expect major price reductions for CFx in 2020 (and beyond). Unless one need more cards immediately, I would definitely wait.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow