With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 11,631
149 yet?

MILC man wrote:

tqlla wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

jonpais wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

jonpais wrote:

This thread is getting too long. The question is not whether Sony is better than Canon, but whether Sony is getting too expensive. Sony has already made it clear they’re not going to compete at wholesale clearance prices like Canon. Their strategy has paid off. All camera manufacturers charge too much according to the balance in my checking account! hehe

Any mention of Canon is an attack that must be defended against.

LOL

I’d like nothing better than to see Canon become more competitive with Sony’s mirrorless offerings since we’d ultimately all benefit from that.

But this price slashing strategy isn’t it.

I know I put pricing in the title, but my post was also about ways that Sony has been improved on, that Sony should respond to.

• We are on the 4th gen A7R, and still no fully articulating screen, even though Sony IMO has the best articulating design on the 2011 A77. And why is the screen bezel so big.

a number of people have stated that they don't want a fully articulating screen.

you keep re-posting things that you want, like it represents what everyone wants, but it doesn't.

• Canon RF adapters is better and cheaper(Free with purchase) than the Sony LA-EA3/4 adapter

there are multiple adapters for ef-mount and f-mount to e-mount, but no rf adapters for a-mount lenses... e-mount is the best platform for adapting lenses, by a huge margin.

• Touchscreen should be improved, SONY makes phones!

many of use don't use and don't want touchscreens on these cameras.

I kind of go both ways on this. Someone else pointed out that you are forced to learn the menus with button presses so you can change things while in EVF BUT I still feel like Sony should do better with their touchscreens. Give users the option

• Camera Connectivity to Phones should be better, Sony makes phones!

I have zero need for that, but it has been improved.

It has. I don't see much criticism for the current software. Although they may update it next week........

• I also think that Sony could bump the grip up, like the Z7. And since we are on the 4th gen, maybe a style update.

you must have missed the part where sony bumped the grip up on the latest bodies.

correct. Not going to do the whole breakdown. Obviously a lot of people here do not agree with Tequila. BUT this post was supposed to be about pricing. Not a battle royale of features.

Going back to pricing. Canon has had the lions share of most markets for a LONG time and their R hasn't outsold the a7iii when it was released at $2,300. There have been sales and promotions for a while putting it more on par with the a7iii which has largely stayed at original MSRP and SOny has continued to outsell them. Now they have to try and sell it even cheaper which they had already done with the RP. Another model that hasn't sold well........I think we should let SOny worry about Sony and let's go use our cameras

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow