With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,021
Re: With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

PAntunes wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

PAntunes wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

PAntunes wrote:

You're not comparing equivalent models. With 1 card slot, no IBIS, no af joystick, worst AF, worst battery life, etc, it's normal that canon cameras are cheaper. If they were the same price, they'd be crushed.
If what you want is a cheap full frame camera, the A7RII or the A7II are much more in line with canon's current offers.

Nah, with the latest firmware Canon AF is pretty good, its better than the A7III in some ways and worse in some ways. Overall its a tie. Not as good as the latest Sony but way better than the rest.

The latest FW fixed the speed of the box in eye-af, not the accuracy. And for the many don't need a fast AF, the A7II would be good enough with a smaller price tag.

Man, I actually use the EOS R before and after FW 1.4 , I also owned the A7III for more than a year so I know whats a good benchmark for eye AF. The eye AF on the EOS R in actual use before and after FW 1.4 is night and day. Before fw 1.4, subject recognition was a constant frustration as the EOS R would fail to detect the eye in many mundane situations. After FW 1.4 the EOS R got a huge improvement in subject recognition and now after few months with it I'm actually impressed with it as its even able to detect the eye in situations that even the A7III would fail ( althought overall the A7III eye detection is still a bit better).

As for the dpreview test, its a complete joke, subject was in good light, clearly defined and visible. Its like comparing an idiot with a genius by asking 1 + 1 = ?, and when both answer 2 you conclude that the idiot is as smart as the genius.

Other users of the R commented that they didn't feel any update on accuracy of the AF from 1.3 to 1.4. Just the speed of the box.

Do you have the same nearly non-existent burden of proof for claims for the R/against the Sony? Prob not.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow