My settings for BIF

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aniltulsi
aniltulsi Regular Member • Posts: 289
My settings for BIF

Focusing is supposed to be the most talked about topic of Z cameras, and considered the worst of the implementation, specially for Birds-In-Flight.

Couple of days back, I went for birding, and experimented with various settings, to get the best results for BIF. Finally, I nailed it, and 'am extremely happy with what I got.

Here are the changes I made in my style for photography, as compared to how I shot with DSLR:

1. Used AF-C (same as DSLR)

2. Changed the AF-C priority setting (a1) to Focus from Release. My DSLR used to hunt in such setting, but I was surprised, how well the Z6 worked. The Z6 is so quick in focusing, there was no hunting at all, and the pictures I got were 95% tack sharp. This setting was a surprise for me.

3. Changed from back-button-focusing to using Shutter release for focusing (a7). I used back-button-focusing for last 5 years in DSLR, and was little uncomfortable going back to shutter release button for focusing. But I am glad I did. The speed of focusing made all the difference in the experience.

4. Used Wide-Area AF (L) mode. I was amazed how well it tracked the subject. There was no confusion about the background, nor I lost my subject. The subject was always in focus.

Here are some sample shots:

The subject and background had similar colours, but Z6 never lost the subject

Again, the background was cluttered, but Z6 never lost the subject

This was much simpler for the camera, as the background was clean. But action was quick, and camera kept tracking the subject.

I used the release mode as H (High speed). Now I am more confident, and will use H* next time.

With DSLR, I used 3D tracking for all my use, but in Z, I have to change AF modes for different uses. But I did get much more keepers this time, than I used to get with my DSLR, so I am very happy. I am still on Firmware 2.10.

Do share your settings for fast action photography you do, and your experience with it. I would love to try other methods too, to find the best combo.

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cna
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow