With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,021
Re: With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

IMO, yes, which is why I ordered a refurb R + RF 24-105 kit and 35 1.8 this morning

In Sony land an equivalent combo would cost an additional $1250/50%. Is that worth it? Maybe if you are very serious about video, or shoot a lot of action, or have a ton of unstabilized glass. And even considering that, much of that added cost is in the lenses (about $1000), which for arguments sake we will say are equal in performance (I think the Canons are a hair better). I don't need 4K and have managed to take plenty of great shots essentially being limited to 1FPS with adapting.

Plus the Canon's ergos and EVF are much better... and we can argue about color science until the end of time but IMO the R's colors are nicer than my A7R2's yellow-greenish tinge.

Again I think a case can be made to pay the premium for Sony gear. IF you take full advantage of all its technical prowess, then the premium is worth it. (Interestingly a lot of its biggest cheerleaders don't :-D) But for basic family/travel photography it's just not worth it to me. The whole time I have used Sony lenses were an issue, and it doesn't look like that gripe will ever go away. So I'm out for now. No system, including Canon RF, is perfect but when it's all said and done I will have a better system for me and money in my pocket from the proceeds of unloading my Sony stuff.

I think a similar argument could be made for Nikon Z as well; "refurb" Z6 + 24-70/4 are going for $1800 right now; Z6 body alone is $1270. The technical margins are even slimmer there and while Nikon's lenses are probably as expensive as Sony's (if not more in some cases) I don't think they've released any duds yet. The 24-70/4 is the clearest example. Only reason I didn't go Nikon is because my wife shoots Canon and has some very nice glass I'd like to use.

So yes while Canikon are having to cannibalize their profits to retain market share I think as a consumer it's worth analyzing the value propositions at the moment.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow