Need a wider prime lens advice.

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brazius Regular Member • Posts: 190
Need a wider prime lens advice.

Greetings,

As you can see in my gear list I have X-E3 with 18-55 and 35 f1.4 lenses.

I want to switch to primes exclusively because I like what 35 did to my photos when you not just standing in one place and zoom around to get a photo. I just shot at work Christmas party and liked the images much more than from the last year when I had just a zoom. It made more challenging but that made the compositions more interesting in my opinion. Now this particular venue was in the large barn so had no issue with backing up to get the framing I wanted. But when the time came to the group shot I wish I had a wider lens.

I shoot just for my pleasure, regular stuff like holidays family etc. I got the 35 because I love taking portraits and I'm pleased with the 35 for that. But I'm finding it bit too long for the in house family photos. That's why I kept 18-55 but as I mentioned I like what one focal length lens does to my photos. So I'm looking for a prime to replace my zoom.

As I mentioned photography is just a hobby so I don't want to spend too much although I wish I could. So ideally I would like to get another prime for wider shots inside the house, landscapes on holidays and streets although 35 could do for the streets.

At first I thought I'll get 23 f2 but then read a lot of people saying it's bit soft on the wide end I'm looking for best IQ for the lowest price possible (I know, I know there is no such thing but still..) also I was thinking of 16 f2.8 and lately read a lot of good things about the 27 f2.8 also love the price and the size of the 27 lens.

I can get 16 for £295 23 for £269 and 27 for £125.

27 would be perfect price and size wise but I'm afraid it might be not much of a difference compared to my 35 and I don't want to get it and then not use it us much.

What would you guys and gals recommend in my situation?

Thanks

Brazius's gear list:Brazius's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow