Lightroom newbie question - culling for real

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,332
Re: Lightroom newbie question - culling for real

mfinley wrote:

malcolmbebb wrote:

<snip>

I believe there is some confusion to what LR is doing when you 'import' photos. LR is not actually copying or moving your originals into itself nor any folders. It sounds like you might think this is what it is doing, but I may not be reading you correctly.

LIghtroom can copy or move files either during import or later on.

When importing from a camera memory card the best option is to copy the files from the card to a specific or new image folder in your master image folder on a hard drive (it could be Pictures or some other folder if desired). That way if there is a failure during the import process you can redo the import because all the images are still on the camera's memory card.

I only reformat my camera's memory cards, in camera, after importing the images, inspecting them, and making two backup copies.

If you already have images in a folder on a hard drive you can simply import them without copying them to a new location. You can create that folder to begin with in your master image folder, or move it there before importing the images into LR. If you want to move it after importing the images then you should do that from within LR so that LR knows that the location of the images has changed.

I use LR's Import to copy over images from my camera's memory cards to folders within my master image folder. I use the computer's file management software to copy over images from my phone to a new folder in my master image folder then import them into LR. This is simply the way I work.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow