Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 3,771
Re: Homemade sputtering device

ProfHankD wrote:

fferreres wrote:

ProfHankD wrote:

fferreres wrote:

ProfHankD wrote:

None of this is particularly difficult, but the printed masks tend to be pretty miserable quality.

Prof, what do you think of this paper?

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1605.09737.pdf

Interesting. However, 3D printing of dots doesn't work very well. About 8 years ago, I wrote code that converts a continuous image into one or more layers of continuous extrusion along a space-filling curve (it modifies a Hilbert curve) to achieve the desired optical density... that could easily be modified to make spray masks.

I know you are very familiar with both optics and 3D printer. Could it be a poor mans approach to use spray paint with the right 3D shape (elevated)? The paper I point to is for more complex things, but gives an idea of ...the idea.

My motivation is that I really want to use material that does not produce diffraction, haze, so the filter may not be perfectly even, but I am not thinking that much of specular highlights, but of very smooth out of focus areas

Well, I guess I need to describe my homemade sputtering machine. I made it long ago (before I had a 3D printer), I never photographed it, and no longer have it, so this will be words without photos....

Basically, it starts with a cardboard box.

On the top of the box is a little (wood then, now, I'd 3D-print it) mount that a filter can screw into such that the filter is held horizontally under the mount. The mount has a motor on it (a hand drill would do) so it can spin the filter just above the top of the box.

Now the magic: there's a shaped slit in the top of the box under the filter.

Here's how it works. You mount a clear filter and start the motor spinning. Take a can of black spray paint, shake it, and start spraying into a small hole made in the side of the box. Slowly, the paint particles will start to fill the box as a mist with only the finest particles reaching the top... and depositing on the bottom of the filter through the slit.

Since the filter is spinning on center, the distribution of paint on the filter will be rotationally symmetric, and the fraction at any radius is a function of the slit width and radius from the center. Basically, it should be of width 0 in the center and gradually widen to wider than the radius grows. I originally built a simple widening slit, but now I'd 3D print the slit as a spiral shape -- or perhaps do a spray mask along the lines described above?

Anyway, it was touchy as heck and rather messy, but work it did. The one I built was just not precise enough to give a really smooth distribution and there were a bunch of parameters I never got around to tweaking. With 3D-printed parts it would probably work much better. Maybe I'll design and make a new one?

Wow, that's super smart. Makes sense and innovative. Do you have any sample left of the end result?

No, I wasn't impressed enough with it and that was years ago.

However, there's starting to be a real chance I'll design and build a 3D-printed machine to make 'em soon.

Have you ever thought of creating a small start up to do things that cater to manual/vintage shooters or those tinkering with optics?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow