With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,271
Re: heads and heads

Trollmannx wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Sony is making profit.

They have stated that cheap lenses is better left to others (low price, low profit).

What is good about Sony making money is that we have a more future proof system as there is profit for research and development of new products. And Sony have offered quite a few outstanding (not cheap) products since entering the camera game.

If you want cheap Sony is NOT for you.

And I get that some of Canon's MSRP lens prices are similar to Sony's. But history shows that Canon's lens prices get good discounts often.

They have to.

Sony lenses prices dont travel far from MSRP.

Only an idiot would discount something selling well.

Just now Canon struggle and makes little money. That might change (hope so).

Research and development of new products is no free lunch. Cut profit and the camera world will retreat to something like the steady state of DSLRs before Sony entered the camera game - essensially the same products over and over again. Little innovation and only incremental improvements.

That is what we get if we are not willing to pay for what we want. Basic economy.

I know most are concentrating on costs.  But the 4th Gen A7R and the A9ii doesnt have a flip screen.   The adapter (LAEA3) is more expensive and not as good as the Canon rf adapter. Touchscreen not as good.   The A7iii cut corners on the screen/evf and raised price.

And not that anyone is doing it well, but phone connectivity is not very good.   All I would even want is automatic jpg upload to a phone while I am taking pictures.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R II Sony a99 II +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow