With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,360
Different objectives

T3 wrote:

tqlla wrote:

golfhov wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Exactly, thats a $100-$200 lens.

In fairness it isn't that bad a lens either. That's one place where the RP was weird. They released a "budget" body but don't have a cheap native lens.

They have that 35mm F1.8 thats $450, where as the Sony's 35mm is $750

For Sony, there is the Samyang 35/2.8 FE ($225) and the Samyang 35/1.4 FE ($479). There's also the recently introduced Tamron 35/2.8 FE ($349). Plenty of budget-friendly options for Sony.

I have the Samyang 35/2.8 FE. I love that lens. It's ultra compact, light, sharp and CHEAP.

The Samyang 24 f/2.8 is rather nice too.

I don't think Sony are playing the same game as Canon and Nikon.

Canon and Nikon want to produce camera bodies to sell lenses. I think Sony want lenses to sell bodies. I think there is more profit in bodies - they are solid state and require less precision assembly, plus they become obsolete more quickly (more people are shooting with lenses that are more than six years old than are shooting with cameras of the same age).

In recent times Sony has tended to produce a lens to plug a gap, or where they have a particular design available to them. They are not as agressive on pricing of lenses as they are on camera bodies. For the most part they seem very happy for third parties to sell lenses to FE mount users.

I stress, I think there is still money in lenses, just not as much. On the plus side for Canon and Nikon, they always have the option of selling FE mount versions of their lenses.

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7 II +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow