Day Hiking Advice or inspiration

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
McWoodley Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: Day Hiking Advice or inspiration

I travel a lot, used to be more for work more for pleasure these days. Photography has always been secondary. A lot of adventure mountain biking and downhill mountain biking with some hiking mixed in. So camera gear is usually limited. Which is why I choose the xe1 and now xt30.

I make it fit in a small hydration pack. I use an Osprey raptor 14. Bike specific but works well as a small day pack. For dedicated hiking I would probably go with a 20/25 liter. I’m a huge fan of osprey packs. Most have hydration bladders and their systems just seem to work and be comfortable. That is usually packed empty or light to fit in my luggage. Really depends on if I have a bike in tow, season and the other mountain bike gear I need which determines my other luggage. Ironically if I have my big bike bag I usually have my huge hard shell roller.

No bike I try to travel light. My SwissGear Travel Gear 1900 Scansmart TSA Laptop Backpack which I can get all my essentials, laptop, a few changes of clothes and camera gear. Then a smaller roller bag that I can carry on. Fits remaining clothes and that other backpack more suited for hiking and urban exploring.

Shoes, while not best suited for long flights or security I wear my Salamon GTX mids Great hiking boots. Not my choice for backpacking which is a whole different topic but best overall hiking and urban adventure boots. Super comfortable, waterproof gortex. A pair of allbird tree runners, and a pair of teva flip flops. Those will cover any need and weather including crossing hemispheres.

the Patagonia Houdini is a perfect wind breaker and fine for light rain.   That is usually all I take if it’s going to be warm where I am going.  If it’s goinng to be cold and wet then I usually take my Arcteryex  rain shell.  Would also be my choice for Scotland   Or where I am expecting a lot of rain.

Skip a lot of cotton.   Take quick drying poly or nylon based shirts and shorts.  In a pinch you can wash them in the hotel and they will dry quickly   Merino is awesome if you need a warm baselayer.  I typically have one with me.

Jacket. I love my down jackets. I have an Arcteryx and Mountian hardware ghost.  The Arcteyx is a better winter jacket.  The ghost is more packable.

just my two cents on things that I have found which work well for me.  Pretty much what I will be taking to NZ in a couple of weeks plus my XT30, spare batteries, Fuji  27mm, Rokinon 12mm, Fuji 15-45(on the fence to take my 18-55 instead) and Fuji 55-200. Can get all that into a pretty tight package inside a domke protective wrap.

McWoodley's gear list:McWoodley's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50-230mm +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow