With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,521
Re: And tails

tqlla wrote:

golfhov wrote:

tqlla wrote:

T3 wrote:

So the moral of the story is: wait for slow-selling products to become heavily discounted, then buy into that system?

Nothing wrong with that. I've only purchased one Sony body at release MSRP

If you know its a good system, and they are just getting started, then yes. Which is why Sony cant take their position for granted.

It's competition. You cannot take anyone for granted. That's how Sony got to where they are today.....

Canon has put out a lot of high quality lenses at a fast pace,

It is a fast pace BUT the lineup isn't exactly what I am aiming for.

they arent going to give up easily. The Z6/Z7 on the other hand, I would avoid.

Oddly enough between lenses and body I would be more interested in the Zs than I would the R. Aren't choices grand!

My point is that Nikon is more likely to give up than Canon is.

Canon hasn't been doing great lately. The only cameras that are still selling for Canon are their low-end bargain-basement Rebels and EOS Ms that sell for very little money. All their more recent, higher-priced releases have been flops. Canon 6D MKII, EOS R, EOS RP, EOS M6 MKII, 90D have all been slow sellers. The first three saw their prices slashed pretty quickly in an attempt to bolster sales, and I suspect the latter two will soon see their prices slashed too. Massive discounting is not a thing that camera companies want to resort to, especially in today's market where sales volumes are a fraction of what they used to be. Camera companies need to sell high-value products at or near their retail price for a fair amount of time to recoup costs and make money. But that doesn't appear to be happening with all of Canon's more recent releases. They've had to resort to massive discounting pretty early in the life cycle of these products. Much lower sales volumes in today's lower-volume market combined with huge discounting are not a good combination for any company.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow