With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,512
Re: With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

tqlla wrote:

T3 wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Eric wrote:

TBF, not a shock to see cameras go on sale around the holidays.

I got my a7III+kit lens for $1700 through Amazon last month. Without the Amazon prime deal, it would've been $2000 for that kit for a kit that was normally $2200 earlier this year.

Without those Sony discounts, I wouldn't have bought the camera. I do think they need to put some sales on their lenses though, I think those a little overpriced.

Thats not a bad deal, but its not like the kit 28-70mm lens is a lens that people really want.

I just bought the EOS R with 24-105mm F4 for $1920, for my aunt. People are buying the EOS R with adapter for $1300 or less(with Canon loyalty program)

I think that just shows how much of a flop the EOS R has been. They've had to slash the prices on it so drastically. It reminds me of the 6D MKII: it too saw massive discounts quite early in its lifecycle. Times have definitely changed for Canon. All of their recent big releases (6D MKII, EOS R, EOS RP, EOS M6 MKII, 90D) have all be slow sellers. It wasn't long ago that any one of these releases from Canon would have immediately leaped to the top of the sales charts and stayed there, with no discounting.

True, it probably wasnt selling well, because it was originally panned. The EOS R has gotten much better via update than when it was originally released.

But also consider their non F1.2/F2 zoom lenses are better or similar priced to Sony. Canon has a history of selling lenses for much less than MSRP. Sony, not really. That Sony 35mm F1.8 price is outrageous.

Canon 28-70/2.0 is still $3000. I would never buy one because it's very expensive, ridiculously large, and very heavy (3.1 lbs!). On top of that, you get a zoom that starts at 28mm (vs 24mm), and no image stabilization (in the lens or in the EOS R bodies). So it's just not a practical lens on any level (price, size, weight, image stabilization). The same applies to the Canon RF f/1.2 lenses as well. A bag full of those lenses would be a back-breaker. I would MUCH rather have slightly slower lenses that are considerably lighter, and with IS (in-lens or in-body). And I like the option of 3rd party lenses, too. That's why I, as a Canon DSLR user, switched and will stay with Sony. On top of that, I use both APS-C and FF in Sony's mirrorless system, which Canon's system does not offer in a unified mirrorless lens mount. Canon's choice to separate APS-C and FF into two different, incompatible mirrorless systems was a very bad decision.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow