Canon 85mm f1.2 vs f1.4 ef Mount

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
hermit383
hermit383 Contributing Member • Posts: 728
Re: Canon 85mm f1.2 vs f1.4 ef Mount

Scott Larson wrote:

I sold my 85mm f1.2 a few weeks ago and bought a f1.4. I really never used the lens at f1.2 because it was too soft and there was purple fringing all over the place. Even worse, the focus motor was too slow for sports. The lens would just sit around for months until I could find something that it would work in.

I've used the f1.4 for three basketball games so far and its focus motor is certainly as fast the the 85mm f1.8, plus I can shoot wide open if I want good portrait of an individual player (although the 135mm f2 is still much better for that). If there is any significant purple or green fringing, I haven't noticed it yet.

If you still want a 85mm f1.2, the used market appears to be flooded with them right now.

Interesting that you've not noticed the fringing on the 1.4 as everything i've seen shows the 1.4 to have the most CA of any L lens in canons lineup by far haha. Not that that can't be very easily corrected though. So for me that would be a non issue.

hermit383's gear list:hermit383's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow