Is there a consensus about the Panasonic 100-400mm lens?

Started Dec 16, 2019 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ABCMO Regular Member • Posts: 305
Is there a consensus about the Panasonic 100-400mm lens?

I am toying with the idea of buying the Panasonic 100-400mm lens for my Oly OM-D E-M1 Mark II, but I have followed the discussions on this forum about the overly stiff zoom ring on this lens, the overly snug fit when mounted on Olympus cameras, and of the lens' mount breaking.  And then of the difficulty of having the lens repaired if the mount does break.  I'm not particularly concerned about a stiff zoom ring, but the idea of the mount breaking or fitting too tightly on my camera body concerns me for any lens, and especially so on one costing $1,500 (the current sale price).

So I thought I would ask here, have there been any recent reports about these two problems?  Or were they issues with the early batches of this lens that have been eliminated in more recent copies?  Finding this type of information using this forum's search engine is difficult, so I thought I might ask here for this information, especially from owners who bought the lens in 2018 or 2019.

I also realize a direct competitor is (supposedly) currently in the works at Olympus, and according to the current Olympus lens map, it will have image stabilization that I assume will work in tandem with the IBIS in Olympus cameras.  But who know when this lens will actually become available, how much it will cost, or how good it will be?  I turned 70 this year, and I don't feel like waiting around a year or two for the Oly lens, which is why the Panasonic lens is my only real option.  (I prefer the zoom and its price, so I'm not interested in the Oly 300 prime).

Thank you for any information or advice you would care to give.

Al

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow