With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,623
Re: With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

rythie wrote:

Canon was in a better place to make an adapter than either Sony or Nikon, due to Canon having all it's auto-focus lenses using in-lens motors, where as Sony and Nikon have many lenses driven in body.

Sony's LA-EA3 now (on the a7iii) works pretty well for the lenses that support it, though that's not many of them.

Also, I suspect that given Sony's much smaller SLR installed base, they were mostly going after users who had never used Sony SLRs, where as I feel Canon if primarily going after Canon SLR users. Therefore it made less sense for Sony to make a better adapter and I doubt they will now.

Saying it another way, I bought the LAEA3 in 2015, but very few Minolta lenses had the onboard motor necessary to use that adapter.  Canon may be the first major camera company to go to an all-electronic lens design including aperture and lens inbody focus motors/instead of lens screw drives.  One is much better off buying a Canon EF to FE adapter ( than the LAEA3 adapter) - like the Sigma MC-11 to take advantage of the many EF Canon DSLR lenses out there.  Even better native performance is available from Tamron with its FE lenses.  Sony owns 20% of Tamron's stock if memory serves, and manufactures some of Sony's lenses in their plants.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow