With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
101Colors
101Colors Regular Member • Posts: 232
Re: With Canon's low sale prices, is Sony becoming too expensive?

It appears Sony would rather to continue to manufacture and sell older bodies like the A7 ii as a lower cost entry into the system, rather than offering high discounts on newer models early in their release cycle. ( the recent .edu discount was surprising though.)

Factoring in those older and lower cost options, it appears the system - or at least the bodies- are priced for buyers of all price points.

Sony branded lenses do seem too expensive - and rarely heavily discounted, IMHO.

tqlla wrote:

This weekend, Canon put the EOS R on sale for $1500, with discounts as low as $1300. Even less using Canon's loyalty program, which Sony doesnt have. The EOS RP is only $1000.

I know these dont have dual card slots or IBIS, but they do have a better touch screen, better EVF than the A7iii, included an adapter that works like native, and a flip screen. If you are looking at current like for like prices. Also consider the RF lenses are brand new designs the FE has been around for a couple years.

• A7iii is $1800 vs EOS R $1300 vs EOS RP $1000
  • 35mm FE=$750 vs RF=$450
  • Adapter FE=$180 vs RF=included or $100
  • 70-200 GM=$2600 vs RF=$2700
  • 24-70 GM=$2200 vs RF=$2300
  • 24-105 GM=$1100 vs RF=$900
  • 24-200 GM=$950 vs RF=$900

I love that Sony advances the sensors so quickly, but things like a flip screen and a better adapter should have been done by now. And now it looks like Sony needs to adjust their prices.

-- hide signature --

«««««« : »»»»»»
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
:
My other gear ::
Olympus G.Zuiko 50mm ƒ 1.4 (silver nose)
Several other cheap FE lenses

101Colors's gear list:101Colors's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Batis 25mm F2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow