Little Backup Box: Card Backup High Performance, Low Cost

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
trinakie Regular Member • Posts: 111
Re: Little Backup Box: Card Backup High Performance, Low Cost

Parisian wrote:

trinakie wrote:

and then connect to it from my phone with VNC or ssh and simply transferring the photos manually. To connect phone and Pi I simply create a tethered wifi network in my phone and the Pi automatically connects to it

Hi! Will you have step-by-step instructions on how to do this too? Thanks!

Hi, basically you have to do the following:

1. With "raspi-config" enable VNC service

2. Enable WiFi on the Pi and set SSID and password of the wifi network of your phone (there are several guides on how to do this, but let me know if you are not sure how)

3. At this point, if you reboot the pi and disconnect the Ethernet cable, it should automatically connect to your phone's tethered wifi.

3. If you have Android, install the App Net Analyzer. I don't have an iPhone but there should be a similar app there as well. The purpose of this app is to see which IP your raspberry pi gets from your phone.

4. Once you know the IP of your Pi connected to your thetering network, install VNC viewer and connect to your Pi using the IP address found at the step above. Of course VNC will ask you the username and password of your pi, which is normally username=pi and password=raspberry (but I strongly recommend you to change the password at least).

5. Once you are connected, you will see the desktop of your pi in your phone, and like in a normal computer you can copy what you want (for example your photos from SD card) to where you want (for example to your external hard drive)

This seems complicated but is actually very easy. One thing you will have to do in order to read SD card in your pi is to install the exfat package with the following commands:

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

sudo apt install exfat-fuse

sudo apt install exfat-utils

Once this set up the first time, the next times you use the pi for this purpose you just need to:

1. Enable tethering in your phone

2. Connect to the Pi with VNC app

3. Copy your files

Super easy. The script discussed in this forum is even more automatic, but with my way you have full control of what you copy and where. Let me know if anything is unclear.

trinakie's gear list:trinakie's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow