Day Hiking Advice or inspiration

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,527
Re: Day Hiking Advice or inspiration

McWoodley wrote:

Lots of good advice already.

One thing I am surprised no one mentioned, unless I missed it, is get a UV filter for your lenses. Less of a filter than to protect the lens. Also allows you to ditch the lens cap, so one less thing to fiddle with. Just inspect periodically and wipe with a micro fiber cloth as needed.

I would agree with the protect filter, but opinions are divided about whether to protect the front element and accept a small degradation of image quality or not. Frankly, in all my years of travel and hiking I have always opted to protect the lens.  Currently, I use Fuji’s EBC Protector filters on the basis that their glass is likely to be of a similar quality to their lenses. In unscientific testing I can see no difference in image quality with or without one of their filters on.

If you opt for a protector filter I suggest not using a UV filter as they can degrade image quality and introduce colour casts and digital sensors, I believe, are not susceptible to UV light.

Great thread with lots of useful tips for those of us who combine hiking with photography.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow