Sony Alpha A5100 successor? A5200? A5300? A5500?

Started May 31, 2017 | Discussions thread
caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,635
Most likely not anytime soon

yazcui wrote:

I loved the form factor. With a pancake lens it's a pocketable aps-c. But look, it's almost 2020. Did sony forget about the a5000 series?

I get you. I have the a5100.  I think the a5xxx series is the least of its concerns now. Look at how Canon itself is slowly distancing itself from such price point. In reality, the profit there is very small. More importantly, the smartphones are making inroads to this segment that makes this price bracket less palatable. For example, in our country, RealMe (an Oppo sister company) just launched a 48mp smartphone for only U$220. And it has 3 more cameras at the back. It has 3mb or ram, 64gb of storage and is capable of added storage, dual sim, etc. The sensor used is Sony and it uses a snapdragon processor. At this prices, why would one buy an a5200 at U$400-430? Even their 64mp version at 128gb and 4gb ram is only about U$300. Those other cameras help in the DOF and bokeh + macro + portrait, not counting the front camera for selfies. In effect, that's five cameras in that smartphone. BTW, the battery life is very good as most of these sport around 4000mAh battery on a 6.3" IPS or AMOLED screen.

As you can see, there is very little impetus to build these cameras now. That is why even Canon wants to go up in specs and price. The magic no now is U$800-900. Anything less is relegated to the entry level or the older models still taking in the slot. U$650-750 now is likely the new "low" end that has new tech. Otherwise, the a5100 will still be around for sale, but it is there only to cover the sub U$500 range.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow