Photoshop CS5 with a new computer build

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,937
Photoshop CS5 with a new computer build

I'll try to make this question as succinct as possible.

I built a computer a few months ago:  Ryzen 3600, DDR4 ram at 3200 Ghz, MSI Gaming Plus Max mobo.

I load 32 bit HDR panos into CS5 during my workflow then change them to 8 bit to work on them.  This takes 1:42 with my Ryzen 3600 build.

I just built another computer with a Ryzen 2700X, DDR ram at 3000 Ghz, MSI Tomahawk Max mobo.

Six core vs eight core, ram pretty much the same.  I had hopes that the 2700x build would be as fast or faster, rendering the same 32 bit HDR pano in 1:42 or faster but, no, it renders it at 1:57.

I know, I know, only 15 seconds but still...Both copies of CS5 are set up the same in the two computers. (in the Performance tab).  And when I look at the cpu usage in the newest computer, man, it doesn't seem like CS5 is using much cpu power at all.  The base clock on the 2700x is a bit higher than the 3600, I thought that would help speed.

Does the Ryzen 2000 series just not utilize RAM as efficiently as the 3000 series?  Maybe that's a de facto bottleneck here.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow