D850 & SB-5000. Is it worth it?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hiro_pro
hiro_pro Regular Member • Posts: 299
D850 & SB-5000. Is it worth it?

My beloved SB600 is starting to show its age. I have had a few instances where it will not turn on or acts flaky. I would prefer to replace it rather than risk missing a shot. I use the SB600 mainly on camera at events where I can go from over ISO 3200 without a flash down to maybe ISO 400-800 f/4.5 at 1/200 of second with the flash set to ttl and the output set at 1/4. I have found that combination meters well and I rarely lose a shot from either being blown or under exposed. I can move from room to room where light varies a ton or even to a room with a power point being presented without issue. I am looking for the best flash (up to the price of the sb-5000) that will do all the thinking and metering for me and will recycle quickly since I don’t control the environment and am at the mercy of the guests to get the shot quick. I am not a pro, these are work or social events where I am doing this more as a favor (and for fun) and I do not control the environment. I also tend to fly to most of them so one flash is all I get. About a year ago I moved from the D600 to the D850 so I appreciate what how important it is to have a solid piece of equipment. I have messed around with cheaper ttl flashes Meike MK-910. I have the Yongnuo YN-622N system with a YN685 and YN968N (since before Godox was an option). The Yongnuo stuff works fine for posed stuff where I can adjust it but I have seen it absolutely miss when shot on camera in TTL mode. I also acknowledge the quality is subpar since some of it is taped together. So back to my question, is the SB-5000 going to give me the best on camera ttl performance 100% of the time or am I overpaying for wireless support where a cheaper flash like the SB700 would cover my needs.

hiro_pro's gear list:hiro_pro's gear list
Nikon D600 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow