My X-T3 to X-T30 to X-H1 journey ... first time I went backwards in technology.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Simi
Simi Regular Member • Posts: 117
My X-T3 to X-T30 to X-H1 journey ... first time I went backwards in technology.

Usually, I do adopt new technology fairly quickly and fairly easily. I am not afraid to be a first adopter, and endure all the quirks and teething problems of early versions.

So, naturally, I bought two X-T3 bodies when they came out, and was fairly happy with them. When the X-T30 arrived, I was intrigued by the small and light body with (mostly) X-T3 performance, and bought one for one of the X-T3, which I sold.

I quickly realized that while the performance of the X-T30 was very good (obviously), the body was a bit too small for me, and thus I added a grip (L-bracket with portrait mount removed), making the size perfect. I then had to fiddle with the oddly placed Q-button, needing some bricolage to avoid pressing it inadvertently all the time.

Then... came the big X-H1 sale. I thought, for that price, I can try. Let's see if the X-H1 is such a great body (with silent shutter, weather sealing, submonitor...) as people were reporting in the WWW. And - dang - the thing is brilliant - to the degree that I sold my other X-T3, thinking that when I need the AF performance, I could use the X-T30 that I modified to my taste.

Oh well. And then I realized how much I liked the ergonomics of the X-H1, and the D-pad, and the viewfinder, and IBIS, and, and, and... And, more importantly, I also realized that the size and weight difference to the X-T30 was disturbing me less than I thought. And that I basically never needed the added AF performance, and basically really never used face detection.

With prices for the X-H1 kit falling further, I bought a second X-H1 - and (you guess it) sold the X-T30 with not much loss.

So, here I am, totally enjoying my two previous-generation, apparently discontinued, likely not firmware-cared X-H1's - realizing how much other factors than technology have a significant impact on my photography and enjoyment. That's a first me going backwards in technology...

Anyone else made a similar journey?

Simi's gear list:Simi's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Nikon AW 11-27.5mm Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +9 more
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow