Use Photoshop to make double exposure like an in-body?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
StuartV Junior Member • Posts: 26
Use Photoshop to make double exposure like an in-body?

My older camera is an Olympus OM-D E-M10 and it supports shooting double (and multi) exposure shots in body.

My new camera is a Sony a7r IV and it does not support any kind of double exposure shooting.

I have Photoshop and I've done some playing around with making some "sort of" double exposures using layer clipping masks and turning down the Opacity on the top layer.

But, what I would like to know how to do is take 2 photos and combine them in Photoshop to get the same result as I would have gotten if I used my old camera and did the double exposure in body.

To be clear, I only played around with DE in my old camera a small amount. I don't feel like I understand it all that well - either in how it worked in my old camera or even just the basic concept. But, it seems like there would be a fairly simple and straightforward way to have PS do the same thing a camera would do for in-body.

Is it as simple as putting the 2 shots in separate layers and setting Opacity on the top layer to 50%? It seems like there must be more "nuance" (for lack of a better term) to it than that.

For something to look at, I put this together of my dad and his dog. But, this is definitely not something I could have easily done doing it in body.

StuartV's gear list:StuartV's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +2 more
ANSWER:
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow