Any tips for X-T3 TTL Flash settings?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jshetley
jshetley Senior Member • Posts: 1,512
Re: Any tips for X-T3 TTL Flash settings?

Lynxo wrote:

Hi,

Do you still need to underexpose by 1/3 on the X-T3?

Do you have any other advice or tips when using flash?

I didn’t mess with it too much today but I had the Godox V1 mounted on

X-T3. ISO was A, it still selected a very high ISO like 6400 when the flash was on.

I found that odd.

You do not use any of the auto modes while using a flash.  You must use your camera in manual mode.  So pick an ISO, an Aperture and a Shutter Speed to expose the background as you want and then put your flash in TTL.  For inside shots try ISO 400, Aperture 5.6 and Shutter 1/60 and take a shot and then adjust if necessary.

If you want more ambient light in the photo lower your shutter speed or raise the ISO, if you want to lower the ambient light then raise your shutter speed or lower the ISO.  If the flash is too dark or too bright - adjust the flash.  Use Flash Exposure Compensation on your flash - not the camera.

I have not touched the camera much so very rusty.

It use to be film days, set aperture and shutter speed, take the shot and hope for

the best. Now it’s I gotta scroll through hundreds of options to find the what was it

called, Preview Exposure Mode so I can see in darker scenes and so on. LOL

Darn, I guess I have reverted to Auto Mode. Can’t remember much these days.

Love all these film simulations, too many to pick. When will Fuji allow you

to take one shot and convert them to all different film simulation modes. Takes the worry

out of I should have tried in this mode...

As others have suggested, there are lots of really good tutorials on YouTube.  Good luck.  Flash takes a lot of practice.

-- hide signature --

jshetley's gear list:jshetley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow