New Full Frame Kit for Birds

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
krebnickel
krebnickel Forum Member • Posts: 56
New Full Frame Kit for Birds

Hi all. Recently I’ve become a very specialized “pro-sumer” hobbyist photographer, primarily shooting birds (large and small) when I can escape from work and family for a trek in the woods or to set up my tripod near a feeder or bird-filled spot. The other stuff I used to do with my cameras (more family/portraits/street etc.) I tend not to do as much, due to limited time - when I have it I want to be in nature by myself with my bird friends... (weird, I know, but hey sometimes you just need some quiet time to yourself).

I’ve been shooting a D500 for a while, and want to “graduate” to full frame. I have the 500PF lens which is brilliant and pretty much all that I use these days. I’m considering the following options:

1) D850 with the 500 PF, or possibly sell the 500 PF and go big with a 600 F4 (likely last gen, used)

2) Sony a7R IV with 200-600 or Sony A9 (thought I think the resolution of the A7R IV is more important than to incremental autofocus capabilities of A9)

I feel like we’re on the edge of a revolution, and it’s a difficult time to make a decision between the very best of the old guard (D850) with its highly refined ergonomics, and tank like durability and reliability vs. the wizardry of the new tech in the A7IV, with it’s crazy autofocus and tracking capabilities and oh so crop-able resolution.

Glass is a factor, I guess - the 500PF is really a gem and so nice for walking in the woods chasing birds - but the 200-600 seems very nice as well - probably not matching image quality at 500mm, but with more flexibility for different situations.

I’ve ruled out this first generation of Nikon Z-series, from what I’ve read and heard they’re not yet ideal for chasing birds, but if you feel otherwise please let me know.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts - I always find these forums so helpful. Thank you!

Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Sony a7R Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow