Desiring OVF

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,991
Re: Well, here's what a Z owner says

Greg7579 wrote:

Nice post.

When you shoot in a museum, do you use lights or just a tripod and natural light? TS lenses? Do they let you in after hours?

I have to shoot when the museum is closed to the public for much of what I do.  At my main museum, we're almost never closed, unlike most which are closed at least one day a week.  Another client is closed several days a week, so that gives some flexibility.  But some work must be done during open hours, and that can be challenging in other ways.

We don't use extra lights in the galleries.  Events photographers will use flash, but it's frowned upon by the Conservation Department.  There are lots of times I'd love to use even just a touch of flash.

We have mixtures of light from banks of windows, so that's another challenge, and the other one is very dim lighting these days in museum settings, especially in shows that feature a lot of works on paper.

So far I haven't whipped out my shift lens. Casework also offers challenges because they are generally a bit low (accessibility reasons), and shooting down on them gives you some unfortunate geometries in the images---geometries that don't bother you in person. Shift won't really help, here.  It mainly would help with the architectural setting

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow