Day Hiking Advice or inspiration

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
SkatePunk
SkatePunk New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Day Hiking Advice or inspiration

One of the things I've found most helpful is moving away from draping the camera strap around my neck and instead slinging it over my left shoulder and across my torso. For my X-T3 with 18-55mm F2.8-4.0 lens, the Peak Design Leash works great in this configuration.

This sling setup allows me to position the camera in the small of my back when the hiking gets technical or at my hip for quick access. My camera always feels secure and doesn't sway from side to side like it does when draped around my neck.

To also help with the quick access, I start my hike with camera settings that I know well and generally suit moderately moving subjects at medium-to-short distances in shadows or partial sunlight. I find that these are the shots I miss if I'm changing camera settings.

For landscape shots, I have more time to adjust the camera. I try to remember to reset my "on the run" settings before returning to the hike.

Lastly, if the trip's emphasis is on the hike and not the photography, I will typically leave the tripod. I've found that nature often has suitable substitutes if you think creatively about achieving height, angle, and, sometimes, downward force.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow