Mono external mic with Olympus EM 5 Mark III

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dworkin New Member • Posts: 4
Mono external mic with Olympus EM 5 Mark III

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to make Shure SM58 microphone (mono) work with my Olympus EM 5 III. I have XLR cable plugged in into the mic, the other end is 6,3mm mono jack, then I use 6,3mm to 3,5mm mono adapter and plug that into my camera's microphone port.

The trouble is, when I use 6,3mm to 3,5mm mono adapter, no sound is registered in the camera and the video is completely silent. When I use 6,3mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter, only left channel is registered by the camera and the video only has left channel, UNLESS I pull the 3,5mm jack up a little bit so it isn't in the microphone port all the way. Then I get sound registered in both channels, and the video has sound coming from both channels, but the volume is pretty low (on 0 in the settings) and there is a lot of background hiss (noise). I have volume limiter set to off in settings.

I read somewhere that the hiss might be the camera trying to "fix" low volume of the non-existent second channel in mono setup, because it expects stereo signal and doesn't get it. Is that true?

Anyway, it's pretty annoying. Can I do something to fix this? Or should I ditch the SM58 and go for, say Rode VideoMic Pro, or ditch mono mics entirely and buy a stereo one?

Also, there is probably no way to make Yeti Blue microphone (USB) work with my camera, right? I'd love to use it for my recording but I haven't found a way to use it with my camera except for maybe using headphones port on the mic which doesn't really let it shine.

Thanks for any replies!

D.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow