new setup for birds and nature: Sony Rx10iv

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Stephen Ingraham Senior Member • Posts: 1,863
new setup for birds and nature: Sony Rx10iv

For those of you who are using the settings in my Point and Shoot Nature Photography with the Sony Rx10iv ebook, after recent experiences in Costa Rica, New Mexico, and Uganda, and with the recent firmware update, I am experimenting with a new set-up for birds and wildlife. If you are interested:

Memory one: my main birds and wildlife settings.

Jpeg, extra fine

Program mode

Low speed continuous shooting

Auto ISO, with Min SS ISO set to Fastest (for the fastest shutter speeds in any given situation, at the price of higher ISOs in lower light)

Large Spot metering with metering locked to focus spot

EV 0

Expandable Flexible Spot focus

Continuous Focus

AWB

DRO Auto

Neutral Creative Style

Then I have programed my BIF settings into the Focus Hold button using Register Custom Settings and Custom Key (shoot) in the menu system

That is the same as Memory One but with:

EV +.7 (since most BIFs will be against a lighter background

Wide area lock on auto focus

Using the focus hold button allows for almost instant access to my BIF and Action settings as needed.

And that leaves Memory 3 (my Memory 2 is still set up for HRD landscapes) for a low-light birds and wildlife set up, which is identical to Memory One with the exception of:

Auto ISO Multi-frame-noise-reduction...set to Auto and Standard.

I tried to program my low light settings into one of the custom buttons for instant access, but evidently you can not register the Auto ISO Mulit-frame-noise-reduction settings.

Finally, I still switch to DMF using the focus control dial on the front of the camera as needed, especially in low light or with a confused setting.

I will be out again in late January to Florida where I will have a chance to test more, and to Cuba in March for more tropical experiences.

Stephen Ingraham's gear list:Stephen Ingraham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III Sony RX10 IV Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Alpha NEX-3N +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow