Suggestions- efficient way to imbed text on photos

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
p900learner
p900learner Contributing Member • Posts: 748
Suggestions- efficient way to imbed text on photos

My dilemma - I display my photos using a basic SmugMug account, very happy with the service except for one thing - that irritates me, but perhaps its the same with any photo display service -

After I upload my photos to SM I add a label and sometimes a caption which displays nicely when viewing the photo. These are primarily bird photos giving the species name - literally thousands of these labelled photos. I've discovered if I download the photos the labels and /or captions are not included with the photos - they are lost. In essence this means I'm in effect held hostage to SM because it would be impossible to re-caption the large number of photos. This is all came to mind as I wanted to explore changing services to perhaps a free service like google photos.

Going forward the only solution I see to new photos not already uploaded to SM is to embed the text directly onto the photo before uploading. I use FastStone Image Viewer and have done some trials with the text feature in the Draw Board menu. Drawbacks, seems slow and cumbersome, quite a bit of clicking. And near as I can tell once you click OK you can not go back and edit the text or delete the text - its permanent.

Question: Is there software or a tool to make the job of placing text on images that would speed the process when editing large numbers of photos? Or another suggestion to work around the problem of losing all my labels and captions if I elect to change photo service.

Thanks. ev

ps - fwiw, I recently downloaded Polaar editing software, but have not worked with it enough to know what it is capable of in terms of adding text. Also I do not edit, organize photos, or even take photos for that matter with a cell phone. My editing is done on a Windows10 desktop PC

-- hide signature --
 p900learner's gear list:p900learner's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 FastStone Image Viewer +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow